The Corporate Law Department at Great-West Life is recognized as one of the most effective, efficient, professional and expert internal law “firms” in Canada. The primary objective of this role is to be the face of that Law Firm to the business and corporate divisions of our Organization and our external contacts with regulators, the industry, advisors and clients.
The successful candidate will be responsible for third party legal document handling, supporting the legal practices by providing administrative support and completing all tasks with a high level of accuracy and efficiency. This position interacts with staff and management at all levels of the Organization.
The successful candidate must exemplify professionalism, diligence, discretion, expertise and reliability.
Third Party Legal Document Handling Duties (primary for this role)
- Reviewing, tracking and redirecting all types of third party legal documents received by the companies to the appropriate client departments, identifying urgent and critical documents to ensure priority handling
- Drafting and forwarding correspondence or making telephone inquiries to various outside agencies with respect to these legal documents to gather information, request additional documentation and/or provide a final response on behalf of the companies
- Conducting internal investigation of the various company systems and contacts to determine the area/individual responsible for handling of the document
Matter Management/Administrative Duties
- Manage file materials (including organization and creation of files), filing systems, document directories and updating legal information systems
- Handle internal and external business communications on behalf of the lawyers. This could include formatting, revising and proofreading documents. This work is often time sensitive.
- Proactively assist the lawyer(s) with the organization of their workload and help them to effectively complete projects and tasks.
- Provide backup for other members of the team; maintain courteous and professional relationships with others; maintain confidentiality; and demonstrate initiative
- Schedule appointments, arrange facilities, prepare materials and other necessary resources
- Handle all travel arrangements for the lawyers
- Screening, directing, or handling incoming calls. Conducting outgoing calls on the lawyers’ behalf including internal clients, external counsel, etc.
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail in a timely manner
- Invoice coding and expense tracking
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Preference will be given to graduates of a Legal Administrative Assistant Program or equivalent education or experience
- Strong Technical Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Good organizational skills and the ability to handle the pressures of deadlines and fluctuating work volumes
- Knowledge of any of the following systems would be considered an asset: Mainframe (GWL, LL, CL), GPAS, DCT, Co-Pilot, Siebel, CISS, GRS Solium
- Administrative experience in a legal capacity would be an asset
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.