London Life has an exciting opportunity as part of our organization’s Line of Business Legal Group. This position is ideally in London, Ontario, but if located elsewhere would require frequent travel to London, Ontario where the relevant legal teams principally reside.
Line of Business Team Leaders (2 Positions)
- Individual Insurance and Wealth Products
- Individual Distribution
Reporting to the Vice-President & Associate General Counsel, Canadian Operations, as team lead you will be a key member of the Line of Business legal group who provide support to our Canadian business units by providing practical and timely legal advice on strategic and tactical business issues. Your work will be wide-ranging and will provide the opportunity to develop expertise in dynamic practice areas. You will work with a highly accomplished team of legal professionals and your responsibilities will include:
Contributing as a member of the Legal Team bringing your experience and creative legal skills to deliver practical solutions to our businesses
Working closely with the business on select projects providing legal advice to further the business goals and meeting our client’s needs
Developing the legal structures for new and innovative products and services
Supporting Compliance, legislative and regulatory matters, including advising on new legal and regulatory developments
Assisting with the review of corporate marketing materials
Drafting and interpretation of contracts
Involvement in the resolution of disputes
As team lead you will be responsible for the efficient provision of legal services through management of the team’s work and associated administrative resources. This includes:
- Monitoring workload and assigning new matters
- Coaching, mentoring and developing team members.
- Liaising with clients to establish client priorities, monitoring client satisfaction and coordinating legal work for the functional area and client groups for which you are responsible.
- Recruiting, performance evaluation and compensation activities for lawyers in your team as well as providing input on those matters for law clerks and legal assistants who you work with.
- Co-ordinating and/or contributing to strategic projects that support the development of the Legal function and capabilities.
- Educating, instructing, and reviewing the work of lawyers in your team (and where appropriate in other teams), law clerks and legal assistants.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- This position is open to qualified lawyers within the company who are in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario and who have at least 10 years work experience.
- Strong leadership skills, and a demonstrated interest in managing teams and guiding more junior lawyers in their practice and career development.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong drafting, legal and communication skills with a practical solution oriented approach and the ability to use plain language
- Highly focused with attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with experience simplifying and resolving complex problems
- Superior organizational and time management skills with experience addressing multiple projects at once
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in the areas of corporate, commercial, business, securities and/or intellectual property law and practice who have familiarity with our products and the legal context within which the Company operates.
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.