Located in Winnipeg or Toronto, and reporting to the Senior Vice President, Chief Governance Officer & Corporate Secretary, this is a senior opportunity within the Corporate Secretary’s Office in Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s legal group.
As a key member of the Corporate Secretary’s Office, this strategic leader will develop, implement and oversee a diverse range of corporate and organizational governance initiatives for Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s subsidiaries in Canada, United States and Europe.
The position will promote and ensure continuous improvement of corporate governance practices, controls and processes, adhering to ethical standards and relevant laws to protect shareholders’ and policyholders’ interests. With direct and indirect management responsibilities, and significant senior management interaction, the successful candidate must have the gravitas to impress at all levels. The position is responsible for building strong relationships with senior leaders and directors to ensure the Corporate Secretary’s Office meets or exceeds the expectations of management and the Board, and supports the company in achieving its strategic objectives
- Act as a trusted corporate governance advisor to senior management; advising on and implementing the global corporate governance framework to align subsidiary governance practices throughout Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s direct and indirect subsidiaries;
- Monitor, interpret and advise senior management on regulatory developments relevant to Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s global corporate governance framework, and benchmarking the Great-West Lifeco Inc. group’s governance practices relative to peers;
- Coordinate corporate governance disclosure and developing internal/external communications involving the Corporation’s governance practices;
- Establish and align procedures and policies to conform to the enterprise global corporate governance framework, and relevant North American and European regulatory changes affecting corporate governance;
- Deliver excellent corporate secretarial support to Great-West Lifeco Inc. and its subsidiaries including advising on governance and corporate law matters, subsidiary corporate structure, creation and dissolution of subsidiaries, and the integration of legal entities via acquisitions;
- Manage corporate secretarial resources in Toronto and/or Winnipeg and work with legal and Company Secretary’s Office colleagues in the UK, Ireland, and United States;
- Lead and manage a diverse range of Corporate Secretary’s Office corporate and organizational governance initiatives for Great-West Lifeco Inc. and its subsidiaries, and promote continuous improvement and execution of corporate governance best practices; and
- Provide corporate law transaction support for corporate actions such as capital restructuring, corporate reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions activity.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Law degree (LL.B./J.D. designation)
- Experience in the field of corporate law, securities and corporate governance, mainly in the financial services industry within a highly regulated company.
- Professional designation through Institute of Chartered Secretaries of Canada (ICSA) an asset.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Analytical and a strategic corporate perspective.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective team leader and member, able to foster strong working relationships in a collaborative and cross-functional environment.
- Professional with the ability to present to senior leaders.
- Diplomatic and demonstrated ability to work with executive management and Board.
- Discrete in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- High level of initiative and seamless execution to successfully drive results.
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.