The Law Clerk will be responsible for providing support to litigation counsel and to the administrative requirements of the Law department. The successful candidate will exemplify professionalism, diligence, discretion, expertise and reliability.
We have two positions, one 16 month contract and one 14 month contract opportunity.
- Prepare draft pleadings on behalf of counsel (reviewing initiating documents and file materials); prepare standard court documents, settlement documents and correspondence on behalf of counsel
- Ensure all electronic correspondence, pleadings and evidence are organized to properly and efficiently manage matters in our paperless environment
- Organize and compile documents for electronic production (medical and production briefs), organize and prepare materials for discoveries, mediations, independent medical examinations, surveillance, pre-trials and various other court appearances
- Enter data on a timely and accurate basis into the matter management system for operational and expense reporting purposes
- Review all correspondence and productions directed to assigned lawyer and handle/summarize as required
- Handle travel arrangements and complete expense statements on behalf of counsel
Qualifications and Competencies:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a Law Clerk in civil litigation defence work with a thorough understanding of the relevant rules of court and legal terminology
- Post-secondary diploma in a recognized legal assistant, law clerk or paralegal program, or combination of education and experience
- Superior oral and written communication skills (including proofreading with keen attention to detail)
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Pro). Exposure to matter management and document management software would be an asset.
- Initiative, confidence and good judgment to be able to work independently with minimal direction and to respond effectively to issues that arise
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Experience working with highly sensitive and confidential information as part of daily duties
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.