The Manager, Business Continuity Management will support the Director, Global Business Continuity Management, and will be responsible for contributing to the design and oversight of implementation of the enterprise-wide (Lifeco) Business Continuity Management Framework. The role will support the establishment and ongoing operation of the second line of defence within the Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) which includes Emergency Response, Incident Management, Business Recovery and Disaster Recovery planning.
Business Continuity Planning overall is a company accountability and as such requires a high degree of communication and collaboration. This position is responsible for ensuring full value and effectiveness is obtained for all BCM investments.
The role will be accountable for ensuring that business units are adequately identifying, measuring, managing and reporting business disruption risks, and are in compliance with all global and jurisdictional standards and regulatory requirements. The Manager will work actively with the BCM group to ensure practices are established and aligned to the Lifeco BCM Framework, and provides independent assessment of the BCM risk profile.
Strategy and Planning
- Foster and provide visible leadership in the promotion of sound BCM Risk Management practices across the organization.
- Provide objective and independent risk expert advice and counsel to the business, partnering with Internal Audit, Legal, Compliance and Risk.
- Recommend courses of action for the first line of defence to ensure ongoing improvement and evolution of business recovery strategies and capabilities.
- Ensure that the BCM risk profile is aligned with strategic business objectives and stated risk appetite.
- Drive continuous improvement across the organization related to BCM risk and ensure improvements are incorporated into the ongoing development of tools and processes. Ensure that change management impacts are assessed, and related processes are in place.
- Create and manage BCM operational plans and strategies to achieve objectives. To develop BCM operational strategies and influence strategic direction. To participate in Global BCM planning as part of the planning/leadership team.
- Ensure that all BCM staff and business unit plan leaders are appropriately trained and have the tools available to meet their roles and responsibilities.
- Engage in enterprise initiatives and special projects.
Methodology and Governance
- Develop and contribute to the execution of the BCM Risk framework, policy, structure, procedures and processes.
- Develop and implement BCM methodology for regional engagement in Operational Risk Management Framework components (e.g. Operational Risk and Control Assessments, Operational Risk Scenarios, Loss Events), change risk assessments and supplier risk assessments.
- Establish processes to apply objective assessment to key aspects of the BCM Framework including the business impact analysis (BIA) process, stated recovery time objectives (RTOs) and recovery point objectives (RPOs), as well as recovery and testing strategies.
- Develop regulatory compliance management process.
- Determine the appropriate governance and escalation processes to support the lines-of-business on key risk issues.
- Develop and implement the tools, templates and best practices required to implement the BCM program consistently across the regions.
- Develop and implement BCM regional oversight, governance and communication structures and facilitate the sharing of best practices across the regions.
- Establish and report on BCM key risk indicators and aggregate risk profile
- Contribute to quarterly Lifeco BCM reporting for the ORC, ERMC, Board and regulators.
- Contribute to regular BCM reporting for operational senior management.
- Create and maintain a current BCM risk profile that supports the basis for making business decisions from a risk appetite perspective.
- To monitor the state of the BCM program and report on performance to senior leadership.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Business Degree (or other relevant post graduate qualification an advantage)
- Significant experience in a business continuity or disaster recovery function within large scale organization
- BCM professional accreditation an asset
- Increasingly senior leadership roles within a BCM, Risk or related function
- Experience working in a regulated environment
- Sound Knowledge of Operational Risk Management practices and second line of defence functions
- Strategic vision, planning and execution ability
- Sound judgment and strong analytical skills to identify opportunities for enterprise collaboration
- Demonstrate relationship building, people management and leadership skills with an exceptional ability to make things happen through influence and by nurturing key partnership relationships
- Business Acumen and operational expertise including an understanding of insurance operations
- Conceptualization, presentation and communication skills to effectively execute change
- New techniques and approaches for BCM must be developed frequently
- BCM requirements are constantly evolving with the business and although there is substantial industry effort in this area, how planning gets applied and properly used to protect our business and environment requires a high degree of resourcefulness
- A strong ability to innovate combined with a low tolerance for risk is a unique dimension of this position.
- Interpretation of industry standards related to Business Continuity Management practices, (ISO22301, Good Practice Guidelines, Professional Practices)
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.